Thursday, January 3, 2013

Organizing Revolution - The Office


 

I spent this first week of the New Year cleaning out, sprucing up and organizing our office space, thanks to Laura at OrgJunkie.com (and 6 other terrific organizing bloggers).

Are you ready?  Heeeeeeeeere's The Office!
This is what it looks like today.
This is what it looked like at the beginning of the week.

Keep reading to appreciate all the changes that took place this week.
You can learn more about how I went about getting started in the BEFORE post with an introduction and pictures. 

And then you can see how things came together DURING the whole process in the next post.

And now, let's take a look at some close-up-and-personal photos showing the Befores and Afters.
Cabinet under the Aquarium
On the top shelves, I weeded out the fish supplies, moved the printer paper to the file drawer and replaced it with a file box where I store business cards and misc. contact info.
Bottom shelves hold stationery and greeting cards on the left (purged and re-ordered) and phone books and directories (purged and contained in a magazine holder)

Cords! Cables! Connections!
I coiled the cables and used twisty-ties to keep them that way and then stored them in a magazine holder (turned on its side) - they have not totally disappeared, but oh, so much better!
The desktop - Before on the left, After on the right (just in case you couldn't see for yourself)
Just look at how nice and clear all this space is now. I threw out the trash and outdated papers, loaded the kids up with their toys and treasures and sent them off the find proper homes. I cleared out the bulletin board and gave it a new look, adding a little basket to hold notepaper for those inspirational thoughts that pop into my head at the oddest moments.
You can see my "new" Landing Pad on the wall in the bottom right photo. We had this clear acrylic file box sitting behind the printer, but now it's up and accessible and ready to receive incoming mail and hold the bills until payday.
My 3 Drawers (to the left of the computer), BEFORE
There was a mess of office supplies and a jumble of techy-type attachments in these drawers. The main problem was they were not contained, and we had made habit of tossing things in amongst everything else that was already there.
My 3 Drawers, AFTER
 So. Much. Better. Now everything has a place, and a container, and you can easily see and access whatever item you are wanting to use or needing to put away.

File Drawers (under printer)
Top file drawer houses copy paper and cardstock. There is also a tray at the back to hold my sunglasses, gloves, etc. and space for my purse.
Bottom file drawer is where we keep household files and important papers. Hubby will spend some time purging the banking folder this weekend, but I condensed the others. More work is needed here, but we are off to a good start.  The extra copy paper fits nicely at the back.

This task was undertaken with a budget of $0 and a little planning. Thanks to Laura's PROCESS, it was a breeze do-able.
One Last Look
Aaaaahhhhhhhhh! A job well done! I think I'll kick back with a Caramel Macchiato and watch a movie with the family and bask in the glow of all this relaxing, well-organized, ready to use space. And rest up for next week's challenge, The Kitchen!

If you've been encouraged or inspired, please click over to the Organizing Revolution Party and cast a vote (beginning tomorrow morning) - for me (#125 - hsmominmo) or anyone that has made an impact on you. There are tons of ideas and motivation there if you'll take a little time this weekend to browse around.

6 comments:

  1. I love how you showed the detailed before and after pictures! Everything looks great!I bet you can't wait to work in your clean office desk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I laughed when you said you loaded the kids up with their toys and treasures. How do they keep sneaking stuff into Mom's space? I am always finding little things on my desk! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks amazing! I have no idea how you are able to do it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! I'm so glad you stopped by.
    Allie, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics - the befores and afters are a huge motivator for me. Proving my blood sweat and tears was worth it!
    Jo, I'm still trying to figure out how to do the maintenance.
    onekriegerchick, the secret is to NOT do it all, just what NEEDS to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! You've made some major progress. Thanks for the inspiration. My desk needs a kick in the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job! It looks very nice. Good luck on your journey ahead :)

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts