Monday, July 2, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - 7/2 to 7/8

 
Donuts, gotta love 'em. I know I do, too much. That's why they are a rare treat around here.
Recently a friend gave me a bag of Donut Mix. 
"Could you use this?", she asks.
With my 5 year old tag-a-long tugging at my skirts and staring up at me with those great big, pleading eyes of hers I said "Sure! We love donuts!" How could I refuse? Really, I had no idea there was such a thing as Donut Mix, but there it was, being passed from the hand of a friend right into my own hot little hands.

Last week I decided was just the right time. I pulled it out of the cupboard, and find the bag, with no directions attached. I had lost the directions. Ugh! My kiddos are expecting homemade donuts, I've promised them, I can't let them down. I pull out a favorite cookbook, the one with the donut recipe we've used before. I do my best to use the same liquid-to-dry proportions and pray over my mixture.

Little Miss Bekah and I end up with a dough we can roll out and cut (don't have a donut cutter, just a glass and small container the right sizes). While she made circles and holes, I dropped them into the hot oil, turned them and set them out to drain. Esther the Queen of Donuts covered them with powdered sugar and 'YIPPEEE!'   They were edible. Not great, but a nice treat.

Moral to the story --  never be afraid to try.
I could have let the mix sit in the cupboard, waiting for the directions to show up. I could have thrown it out with the trash or fed it to the chickens. Instead we lived vicariously and gave it a try, using our skills and knowledge and resources as best we could.
We had fun together, we learned some things together, and we shared the fruits of our labor together. No one complained that they tasted just a little different, or the texture wasn't quite right, or they didn't look like store bought. Just pure enjoyment.

The other moral to the story? Don't lose the directions.
(Disclaimer:  For all my Grammar-Spelling-Police-Friends out there, I know that 'donut' is not the correct spelling of the word. I know that 'doughnut' is the correct spelling. BUT, that is what the label on the package said. Yes, I did read the label before I lost the label.)

And now for our menu for the upcoming week.

Monday
b'fast - toast
lunch - leftovers
supper - enchaladas

Tuesday
b'fast - cereal
lunch - mac n' cheese
supper - Baked Potato Bar

Wednesday
b'fast - baked oatmeal
lunch - Funny Faces
supper - Burgers Brats & Dogs, Celebrate Independence Day!

Thursday
b'fast - toast (made from mom's whole wheat bread)
lunch - sloppy joes
supper - Venison (crockpot meal)

Friday
b'fast - blueberry coffeecake
lunch - sandwiches
supper - pizza night

Saturday
b'fast - pancakes
lunch - leftovers
supper - Egg Roll and Fried Rice

Sunday
b'fast - bagels and fruit
dinner - Chef Salads
supper - popcorn, apples, leftovers, every man for himself

1 comment:

  1. I'm stopping by from Menu Plan Monday today!
    I loved hearing about the donuts and lost directions.
    Thanks to Pinterest and MPM, I'm able to keep inspired when it comes to cooking and baking!
    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts