Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Learning Hard Lessons

On Friday night, I was invited to join a friend on her weekly visit to a nearby Rehabilitation Unit. She and her daughter go in and have a Bible study with any of the women residents that want to join. They read a little, discuss a little, sing a little, pray a little, and listen a lot.

This is something a little out of my comfort zone, but I am very glad I went. Most of the women are probably there because of substance abuse. I expect a judge decided they were a danger to themselves, their families, or both.

Afterward, I was struck with the thought that I cannot change the circumstances for these women. Their physical needs are being met. The consequences of their actions are out of my control. But I can bring the hope of Christ to them. That is the one thing that will have an everlasting effect on their lives.

Since then, I have been talking with my children more about being content.

“…for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:11-13

This can be such a difficult lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Enjoy:

these related posts